Sunday, March 20, 2011

hm

So I had just stopped worrying about this radiation thing....when they found SOME in the tap water here in Gunma prefecture. They say it is not enough to cause health risks.Not sure how I feel about it.
It is strange going through Isesaki and seeing gas stations shut don. Stores are dark, or have dimmed their lights.
I am concerned IF the thing melts down. Guma is in the radius of big trouble IF that happens. I just want to start my life here. I have not been able to truly settle down. I keep a smile on my face...but....just last night I had sushi for the first time in Japan...we had an earthquake so bad we had to hold our plates on the table. I am kinda done with this shit. I am not coming home or doing anything drastic...just venting.

I am trying get over culture shock on top. Apparently because I am a professional teacher I cannot cross my legs while sitting.....I can't point, and I laugh to loud apparently.  I do LOVE a lot of aspects of the Japanese culture...however they do not value anyone different....conform conform. I can't lose the voice I worked do had to find.

3 comments:

  1. Once they get used to you, they will probably be fine with you crossing your legs, pointing and laughing loudly. They're a lot more forgiving of nonconformity when they trust someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me more about the leg crossing thing. I am fascinated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren: I see whet you mean, now that I think on it. The vice principle and my one of my bosses was with me in Sendai. They don't care what I do.

    Tara: Because I am a roll model for the children and they ask their children to conform. I should do what they do....now I have always felt as a teacher I should show the children how to behave....but not that extreme.

    ReplyDelete